Tell Congress: No war with Iran
Another crisis in the Middle East could happen in the blink of an eye – and things are escalating fast.
A war with Iran would be devastating – likely on a larger scale than even the war in Iraq.1 We must pull out all the stops to keep Trump from dragging us into yet another catastrophic war in the region – and you can help.
Before Trump takes the next step toward a destructive and unnecessary war, we need Congress to take action. Congress has the constitutional authority to make – and stop – war, but legislators are not feeling the pressure to act. We have to turn up the heat right now before bombs start flying.
Tell Congress: Block Trump's war with Iran
Trump's aggressive moves against Iran are making us less safe. He pulled the United States out of Pres. Obama's Iran nuclear deal. He imposed crushing economic sanctions and threatened sanctions against our European allies. A few months ago, Trump's war hawk adviser John Bolton issued a threatening statement based on bogus intelligence and promoted a plan to send 120,000 troops to the region.2,3 And in May, Trump's escalations led Iran to retaliate by shooting down an unmanned drone and apparently attacking two commercial oil tankers.4 But that's not all.
Less than two weeks ago, Trump took to Twitter to beat the drums of war again by accusing Iran of bombing Saudi oil reserves – before U.S. intelligence could even back up his claims – and declaring that the United States is "locked and loaded" to respond. Then Saudi Arabia officially blamed Iran for this latest attack, giving Trump more ammunition to justify his needless war.5
Democrats should be the leading voices opposing Trump's war mongering, but in a recent Fox News interview, Delaware Sen. Chris Coons legitimized Trump's notion that Iran is pushing us to a point where war may be inevitable.6 War isn't inevitable, but it's more likely if Democrats aren't forceful in their opposition. Sen. Coons' behavior is dangerous and beyond unacceptable. We need to push back now so more Democrats don't join him.
Going to war with Iran would be a horrific, preventable disaster for both the Iranian and American people, the region, and the world. Trump and his war hawks will take us to war if they can. If we rise to this moment, we can stop them.
Tell Congress: Block Trump's war with Iran.
- Adam Taylor, "A conflict with Iran would not be like the Iraq War. It would be worse." The Washington Post, May 14, 2019.
- Matt Spetalnick and Idrees Ali, "U.S. deploying carrier, bombers to Middle East to deter Iran: Bolton," Reuters, May 5, 2019.
- Eric Schmitt and Julian Barnes, "White House Reviews Military Plans Against Iran, in Echoes of Iraq War," The New York Times, May 13, 2019.
- Al Jazeera, "US orders 'non-emergency government employees' to leave Iraq," May 15, 2019.
- Shane Harris, Erin Cunningham and Kareem Fahim, "Saudi Arabia says weapons used to attack its oil facilities were Iranian," The Washington Post, Sept. 16, 2019.
- The Week, "Democratic Sen. Chris Coons says attacks on Saudi oil facilities 'may well be the thing that calls for military action against Iran,'" Sept. 16, 2019.