Tell Congress: No war with Iran
Another crisis in the Middle East could happen in the blink of an eye – and things are escalating fast.
A war with Iran would be devastating – likely on a larger scale than even the war in Iraq that Trump's war hawk adviser John Bolton helped engineer 15 years ago.1 We must pull out all the stops to keep Bolton from re-using his Iraq playbook to drag us into yet another catastrophic war in the region – and you can help.
Before Trump takes the next step towards a destructive and unnecessary war, we need Congress to take action. Congress has the constitutional authority to make – and stop – war, but legislators are not feeling the pressure to act. Our friends at Win Without War and other peace activists are calling on us to change that. We have to turn up the heat before bombs start flying.
Tell Congress: Block war in Iran. Click here to sign the petition.
Trump's aggressive moves against Iran are making us less safe. He pulled the United States out of Pres. Obama's Iran nuclear deal. He imposed crushing economic sanctions on Iran and threatened sanctions against our European allies. Last month, Bolton issued a threatening statement based on bogus intelligence and promoted a plan to send 120,000 troops to the region.2,3 Now Trump's escalations have led Iran to retaliate by shooting down an unmanned drone and apparently attacking two commercial oil tankers.4
This is an intentional strategy to create the perception of a dramatic new threat that makes war seem inevitable. It isn't. But Trump's war hawks are not going to let facts get in the way – they will take us to war if they can. If we rise to this moment, we can stop a horrific, preventable disaster from unfolding for the Iranian and American people, the region and the world.
Tell Congress: Block war in Iran.
- David Cloud, "Pentagon to send 1,000 more troops to Middle East as tensions rise with Iran," Los Angeles Times, June 17, 2019.
- Adam Taylor, "A conflict with Iran would not be like the Iraq War. It would be worse." The Washington Post, May 14, 2019.
- Matt Spetalnick and Idrees Ali, "U.S. deploying carrier, bombers to Middle East to deter Iran: Bolton," Reuters, May 5, 2019.
- Eric Schmitt and Julian Barnes, "White House Reviews Military Plans Against Iran, in Echoes of Iraq War," The New York Times, May 13, 2019.
- Al Jazeera and news agencies, "US orders 'non-emergency government employees' to leave Iraq," Al Jazeera, May 15, 2019.
- Nicole Gaouette and Jennifer Hansler, "Pompeo, without offering evidence, blames Iran for Gulf tanker attacks," CNN, June 13, 2019.