Sign the petition: Investigate Brett Kavanaugh
Brett Kavanaugh, who was credibly accused of sexual assault and lying under oath, should not have a seat on the Supreme Court.1 He got one because Republicans broke the rules to confirm him, but Democrats can make sure Republicans don't get the last word.
This investigation is especially urgent now that Alabama and Georgia passed some of the strictest abortion bans the country has ever seen.2 Kavanaugh should not get the final say on abortion rights, and House Democrats should be pursuing every option at their disposal to prevent that scenario.
We must hold the House Judiciary and Oversight Committees accountable and demand they preserve the legitimacy of the Supreme Court by immediately launching an investigation into Brett Kavanaugh.
Tell the House Judiciary and Oversight Committees: Immediately investigate Brett Kavanaugh.
Rep. Jerry Nadler, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, promised that if Democrats took over the House of Representatives, he would open an investigation into the accusations against Kavanaugh and Rep. Elijah Cummings stated the need for a thorough and transparent investigation into allegations against Kavanaugh.3, 4 But now that Democrats in the House have the power, they have not fulfilled that promise.
A full investigation could show that Kavanaugh lied about his views on Roe, pressure him to recuse himself from abortion-related cases, further undermine his credibility and potentially lead to his impeachment.
There is plenty to investigate, including:
- Multiple, credible allegations of sexual assault.5
- Records from Kavanaugh's time in the Bush White House that could prove he lied under oath in 2004, 2006, and 2018.6
- Unexplained debts of upwards of $200,000 that vanished prior to his confirmation.7
- 83 serious ethics complaints about judicial misconduct that were referred to the House of Representatives by the Judicial Council.8
The House Judiciary and Oversight Committees have the power to bring justice to millions of survivors across the country and start restoring the legitimacy of one of the most powerful branches of our government. They need to use it.
Tell the House Judiciary and Oversight Committees: Protect our communities. Immediately investigate Brett Kavanaugh.
- Tara Golshan, "Did Brett Kavanaugh perjure himself? The debate, explained." Vox, Oct 2, 2018.
- Mara Gordon and Alyson Hurt, "Early Abortion Bans: Which States Have Passed Them?" NPR, June 5, 2019.
- Nicholas Fandos and Sheryl Gay Stolberg, "House Democrat Promises Kavanaugh Investigation if Party Wins Control," The New York Times, Oct. 5, 2018.
- Rep. Elijah Cummings, "Tweet," Sep. 27, 2019.
- Christine Hauser, "The Women Who Have Accused Brett Kavanaugh," The New York Times, Sept. 26, 2018.
- Demand Justice, "Kavanaugh: 31 Lies and Counting," Oct. 1, 2018.
- Amy Brittain, "Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh piled up credit card debt by purchasing Nationals tickets, White House says," The Washington Post, July 11, 2018.
- Michael Sykes, "All 83 ethics complaints against Brett Kavanaugh dismissed," Axios, Dec. 18, 2018.
photo: Tom Williams/ Getty Images